The Alcazaba, with a perimeter wall of 1430 metres, is one of the largest Arab constructions in Spain. It was built on the orders of Abderramán III in the 10th century, after the foundation of the city. It is a fortress which comprises 3 enclosures, the first two Arabic and the last Christian, constructed after the conquest of the city by the Catholic Monarchs which took place in 1489.

The fortress is situated on one of the highest hills of the city. The first enclosure, occupied today by public gardens, used to be full of houses, a well with a water wheel and a cistern as well as orchards. This area is enclosed by the Muro de la Vela (The Wall of the Sail), presided over by the Santa Maria de los Dolores church bell.

The second enclosure is divided into two zones: the public area where we can find a caliphal cistern from the 10th century, reconstructed houses with the interiors converted into a museum, the St. John Hermitage and a beautiful water pool. In the private area, we can contemplate important archaeological remains which form part of King Almutasim´s Palace from the 11th century.

The third enclosure of the fortress is Christian and was ordered to be built by the Catholic Monarchs after recapturing the city. Inside we find a triangular parade ground which has several towers, the most important of them being the Keep where the remains of the coat of arms of the Catholic Monarchs can still be discerned.

The Alcazaba, situated on a strategic site for defending the city, today allows us to contemplate the best views of Almeria and its bay.



facebooklikebutton.co