The present bull ring was designed by the architects Trinidad Cuartara and Enrique López Rull and its construction was finished in 1888. It can hold 9,054 spectators and replaced the previous bull ring which existed between Granada and Murcia Street where today we find the “Malecón de los Jardinillos”, which had become too small and uncomfortable for the needs of the well-to-do. To carry out the work, a company headed by Felipe Vilches was formed and neither first class materials nor skilled workers were stinted upon.

The architecture of the bull ring is eclectic: it has a polygonal shape with 20 sides, three of which project into the ring forming monumental façades which correspond to the access to the sunny and shady seats and the main entrance. In the main entrance, in the keystone of the arch, there is a shield which bears the head of a bull together with the instruments typical of bull fighting.

The interior of the bull ring is divided into the following areas: the ring itself where the fight takes place; the front row of seats, the stands, the upper tiers and the boxes decorated with Manila shawls. One of the traditions of the afternoon bull fights in Almeria is to take a picnic to the ring to eat after the third bull.