Our Lady of the Annunciation Church
Fiñana - Almería

Otras ubicaciones

The house of worship is an outstanding example of the Mudejar in Almería province. It was started in 1540 by Juan de Moya and Juan García. In 2002 it was declared a National Monument.

During the ups and downs of its construction, the Council of Canons of Guadix sent the master Pontones to supervise the works, which were completed in 1569. Barely 10 days after its inauguration there was a drama. On 11th June 1569, following the Moorish rebellion, Aben Humeya and his followers found out about the consignment of supplies and munitions from Guadix to support the Marquis of Los Vélez who was fighting in Terque, and which were stored in the new church, despite the opposition of the governors of Fiñana. Although most of the population did not support the rebels, a group from outside entered the church, destroyed holy elements and set it on fire, razing it to the ground.

Once again they will have to rebuild part of it, particularly the coffered ceiling, which today is one of the elements of greatest interest, built by Juan de Urrutia, with a “lima bordón”, or hip rafters, construction, of the highest quality and enormous ornamental beauty. Special interest requires the corbels decorated with the faces of well-known people of the times, or the octagonal armature of the main chapel. After many ups and downs, the house of worship was completed in 1592.

This new temple, for the most part of clear Mudejar style, is made up of three naves, separated by semi-circular arches between pillars. The Main Chapel is differentiated by a central arch, also semi-circular.

The church front is Renaissance style, with express reference to Felipe II in the frieze. In the central recess there was the Virgin of the Guide and the figures of St Peter and St Paul, images which were destroyed in the Civil War. Today the Virgin with the Child occupies the central recess.

The walls have a bonding of a course of bricks and quarry-stone, materials typical of the Mudejar art.

The tower, semi free-standing, with a square floor plan and built from brick, has four parts. The upper three are covered in wood. In the lower part there is the Sacristy and its Museum, where pieces of great importance are kept, like relics, remains of the altarpiece destroyed in the Civil War, and the Chasable and the Crucifix which the Catholic Monarchs would have donated during their stay in Fiñana in 1489 following the conquest of Almería, an event which is remembered every year in December.